Sunday 31 July 2016

Elisabeth von Braunschweig – Lüneburg (1510-1558)

Continuation of previous blog-post:
European renaissance in fifteenth and sixteenth century created an environment of humanist thought process. Elisabeth from Braunschweig–Lüneburg was brought up in this environment and hence, carried an aura of humanism.
Photo of an woodcut illustration - available with Wikipedia

Her father was Joachim I from Brandenburg and mother was a Danish princess. Both parents were believers of Catholic faith but later her mother was influenced by Martin Luther’s teachings. At the age of fifteen, Elisabeth was married to a catholic Duke Erich I from Braunschweig – Lüneburg, forty years older than hers. After the death of her husband in 1540, she carried on administrative activities guided by reformative principles till her son was grown up to take up the responsibilities.  She had written a textbook on ‘rule of governance’ to guide her son - this is first recorded textbook of this genre written by a woman in Europe. Addressing her subjects, she had written a letter to circulate Christian teachings.  Her last book was a book of consolation for widows, published in 1556.
In 1545, after assigning the responsibility of the governance business to her son, she went for a second marriage. Her son devoted himself into Catholicism; hence a big rift between them was unavoidable. Religious fight led to her exile in Hanover. She started living with her daughter Anna Maria with whom she had a moderate relationship. Elisabeth had written a “friendly and motherly lesson” regarding marital duties as a wedding gift for her daughter.  
During her exile, she did write many religious poems. She started going through the evangelic church-songs this time. Probably she could associate the core of this belief with her situations in life. She had another daughter, Katharina. In 1557, her son got her married to a catholic castellan in secret. The news became the reason bringing deep emotional disturbance for Elisabeth which led into irrecoverable illness. Elisabeth von Braunschweig – Lüneburg passed away after a year.
As a governor, Elisabeth was a farsighted regent and reformation-preacher. She is remembered as a woman pioneer of political and religious writings as well as a spiritual poet.
Couple of paragraphs from „Lebensbericht“ – The Story of my Life
Ey gott mein lieber herre
Lob dich beidt tag vnnd nacht,
Ich will dich auch thun ehrenn,
Sieh, du hast mich gebracht
Ach schwerlich aus Mutterliebe
Bin ich in anngst getzelt (zelt)
Getauft wie es dir gefelt (gefällt).

Im ehestanndt bin ich begebenn
Dem edelenn herrenn mein,
Inn kranngkheit thet ich lebenn,
Ahnn (ohne)furcht thet ich nicht sein,
Creutz. Jammer vnnde schmertze
Was mir alltzeit empor,
Ich schrei zu gott vonn hertzenn,
Dem vngelück kam zuvor.

O God, my dear Lord
I Praise you day and night,
I would honour you too,
While you have created me
Dignified out of mother’s love
And I, the fearful being
Was Christened as your wish.

My marital life with my noble husband was blessed
But as I saw him to fell ill,
I could not stay away from fear,
Burden, misery and pain
That forced me look upwards,
I cried before God from the bottom of my heart,
But the misfortune came before.

And the last paragraph of the “New year song” written for her daughter Katherina:
“Liebes kindt gehorche mir,
Deiner Mutter, das rathe ich dir
Wilt dich ann die welt nit keren,
Liebe mich vnnd ehre got den Herren,
Das lass bei dir pleibenn war,
Das wunsch ich dir zum Newenn Jar.“

Listen to me, my beloved child,
Your mother – I would bless you:
May you live in this world stronger.
Love me and honor God,
The Lord, who is to stay with you.

This is my New-year wish for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment