Thursday 3 November 2016

Visual Art – mystery that mesmerises

Recently I was trying to understand European idea of modernism in painting. And the process went on as it happens .While reading a book having nice illustrations, I get attracted by the illustration beside the text – gaze at it for several minutes – and by the time I come out of my bewitched state, I realize I forgot what I read! That way I could not proceed much with theories describing modernism. But today I discovered an article on the role of visual art in creating subjective truth without illustration. Obviously, I did not have any trouble reading it. And  then, as I incidentally started chatting with one of my old colleagues, I realised how deceptive visual art can be.

Visual art is about vision – the object reveals itself only to the person who views or intends to view it. In other words, try to get some meaning out of it. And there lies the scope of deception. The visual improvised may hold something other than that we assume.
What we look though a camera, camera works as our eyes – and probably eyes see what we want to see. The director of a movie makes his\her actor act the way he\she wants to see them. When I watch the movie, my eyes try to catch nuances those mean the most to me. It may be the same as the director wanted to show. But how am I so sure that only one meaning is attached to that sequence - that shot – that face or gesture?

My colleague told me he remembers how a cosy relationship I had with another lady once. Even after ten years he remembers visuals of my talking to her – sitting on one corner of the office. I know the assumptions - which I never wanted to break – I had my own reasons. Even this time, I could not tell the simple boy, now probably a project manager or something with an MNC, that I actually had a strenuous relationship with the lady who they thought I was in love with. We never had same character or taste; the lady was probably given the responsibility of mentoring me after some other mgmt people failed – and I listened to her attentively while gazing straight to her, always trying to decipher what she meant by her words and tried to understand the cultural aspect that had made her so different from me. A good example of romantic visual creation I believe! And that worked! 
Le roi from Le petit prince

I remember ‘Thinker’ (or Poet?)  - work of Rodin. The man thinks – but what does he think? Forget about the title and then try to imagine. Is he a poet trying to find out lines with his chin resting on his hand? Is he mournful? Or just lost in some deep thought? Probably he is looking for an answer to the question – how to drive ten kilometres next morning in fog? You find your own meaning which may not match with anyone else’s. Remember le roi in the petit prince – did Saint-Exupéry want to show the commanding attitude of the roi or the helplessness? – a grotesque man or poor one waiting for a subject?  Who knows? Same I experienced with an illustration by Devdutt Pattanaik – a king sits with his head bowed, while his eyes are open. Gesture says he is not in a jolly mood. The article written by the author explains the situation but without the article, the viewer is free to decipher own meaning out of it!

I remember my first experience of seeing Gammateshwara Bahubali  - the famous Jain monk in Sravanbelgola. I could not stop myself from expressing –“SOooo, this is the largest male figure in India?” - While I was wondering how they have curved such a colossus so perfectly and following which method one thousand years back. But the next moment I realised that I made my colleague beside me scared – “Tum maroaoge yaar! This is a pilgrimage – this is God – not a male figure….”Same colleague later accepted my appreciations for some other men and women curved in other temples. But by that time she was habituated to tolerate my blasphemous statements.

People’s face as well as gestures are intriguing at times – not all, but some of them – be they are on the other side of camera’s lens, or on a piece of paper or curved on walls. Not because we are able to read them very well, probably because we are not able to read them well. Mystery is mesmerising. Mystery in a visual mesmerises us that in turn leads us to form our subjective truth. . An explanation by a pundit, which wipes the mystery off the persona \ image is therefore, less stimulating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment