Thursday 8 January 2015

The God and the Father of a Church

A father of a church, as we usually see everywhere, brought an offering to the church with a magnificent chandelier and a large wax-candle. The God appeared before him in the form of an old man and promised him something to thank him for the gift: he would warn the father of death thrice before calling him back from the earth. The father was so happy with this, that he started living a splendid life of leisure, eating and drinking after this. The church cellar had to take care of all these and he did not at all think of death while living that kind of a life.
But after a few years, his body could not withstand his lifestyle anymore – his knees became weaker, his back bended and he needed to walk with the help of a crutch. Within a short period, he lost his vision; then hearing. Bend, blind and deaf, he was still enjoying his grand life as before.
At the end, the God again appeared to take him away. The father was dismayed and disheartened and blamed the God for not calling him thrice as promised. Equally angry, The God told, “What? Did not I warn you? Did not I tap on your shoulder and knees at first, so that your back did break? Did not I put my finger on your eyes so that you could not see anymore? Did not I finally give a jolt to your ears so that you went deaf? It’s all fulfilled, what I have promised you. Now you have to follow me!” The father begged for pardon very politely now for not understanding the warning correctly and also for not being prepared for death so soon. The God looked at the repenting church-father softly and told, “You have only to come with me; I am not going to be just gracious to you.”
But I would like to tell all of you – dear God warns all of you like this; just pay attention that you do not remain so unprepared when he calls you up.*

Translation of Unser Herrgott und der Kirchenvater from "Sächsische  Volksmärchen aus Siebenbürgen" collected by Josef Haltrich, published 1882.

*Is this a signature of Josef Haltrich? I found many of his stories ending with a suggestion like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment